Passionately Building Character One Stroke at a Time
You feel it the moment you walk in. Something different. It’s more than vibrant colors chosen to inspire kids. More than a curriculum crafted to not only teach kids to swim but also to build their character. More than a shiver-free pool heated to 90 degrees. There’s something more. Something unexpected. Something that propels Goldfish Swim School beyond typical. It’s passion.
Not just a passion for kids or a passion for swimming…it’s a special passion for changing – even saving – lives by teaching kids to swim.
A passion born in the heart of a mom – driven by her love for children, swimming and a desire to deliver an unmatched “Golden Experience” for kids and their families.
Our revolutionary Perpetual Lessons model includes:
- One life-guard certified instructor for every four children
- Year-round swim lessons for children 4 months to 12 years and for swimmers of all abilities
- Curriculum focused on teaching swim and safety skills while building character
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate even the busiest family’s schedule
- And much, much more
The Goldfish Experience was born when Co-Founder Jenny McCuiston realized the demand for quality swim instruction after teaching swim lessons at a local swim club in the summer of 2000. She became increasingly busy with customers, and her business grew steadily throughout the summer. In the summer of 2004, Jenny decided to teach swim lessons at a nearby country club. Jenny, again, realized the great need for quality swim instruction as she regularly accumulated a waiting list and her clientele grew to record-breaking numbers for the club by summer’s end.
So, with the help of her husband Chris, Co-Founder of Goldfish Swim School, they began researching the learn to swim industry in late 2004. They traveled the country learning from other swim school owners, traveled to several swim school conferences and began the two year development of their business plan. In early 2005, Jenny created the systems that Goldfish still uses and improves upon to this day, and it was also at that time that she and Chris dreamt-up their rustic beach house decor, all from the kitchen of their home.
After the 2 years of research, and a lot of hard work, Chris and Jenny opened Goldfish Swim School in Birmingham, MI on March 20, 2006. They opened with over 500 students enrolled and, within two years, the business had grown to teach over 2,000 students per week.
Since that milestone event, Goldfish has now franchised over 25 locations throughout the country, with plans to double that number by the end of 2015.
Jenny McCuiston, Co-Founder
- Busy mother of four
- 16-time High School State Champion swimmer
- 17-time Collegiate All-American at the University of Arizona
- Two-time Olympic Trials qualifier
- Degree in Early Childhood Development & Family Studies
Chris McCuiston, Co-Founder
- Busy father of four
- Former Captain of the Michigan State University Baseball Team
- Single-Season Record-Holder at Michigan State University
- Drafted into the Detroit Tigers Organization
- Degree in Finance
Awards & Designations
- Rising Entrepreneur (2015) – by Jewish Vocational Services
- Entrepreneur of the Year Finalist (2013, 2014, 2015) – by Ernst & Young
- Top 200 Franchise Systems (Up and Coming) – by Franchise Times
- Best Swimming Lessons (2012, 2013) – by Hour Detroit
- 5000 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America – by Inc.
- Best of Association – Facility – by US Swim School Association
- Best of Association – Magazine Print Ad – by US Swim School Association
- Elite 40 Under 40 – by Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson
- Best of Michigan Business (Family Business) – by Corp! Magazine